Rio Gallinas School of Ecology and the Arts is seeking candidates for the Rio Gallinas Governing Council. As the only public charter school in the Las Vegas area, we are looking for people supportive of education that focuses on building a learning community of committed adults and children. Candidates should be willing to collaborate and problem-solve with the other Governing Council members, as well as contribute time and energy to serving on the council committees with the best interest of the school in mind. We encourage diversity representing various backgrounds and life-experiences to enhance our school community. To be considered as a candidate for the Rio Gallinas Governing Council, please submit in person a Letter of Interest and a Resume to the Rio Gallinas Governing Council at 1107 Montezuma, Las Vegas NM 87701 or email to mainofficeriogallinasschoolorg.
Current Rio Gallinas Governing Council
Crystal Gallegos, Chair;
-Email: gcchairriogallinasschoolorgRudy Castellano, Vice -Chair; Community member
- -Email: gcvpchairriogallinasschoolorg
Rae Laing, Secretary; Community member
- -Email: gcsecretaryriogallinasschoolorg
Michael Immerman, Community member
- -Email: michaelimmermanriogallinasschoolorg
Emilio Aragon, Community member
- -Email: emilioaragonriogallinasschoolorg
Georgina Ortega, Community member
- -Email: georginaortegariogallinasschoolorg
Jude Romero, Community member
- -Email: juderomeroriogallinasschoolorg
Patrick Marquez, Liaison; West Las Vegas School Board
(A quorum of the Council is five voting members.)
The Council’s By-Laws state that the primary purpose of the Governing Council is to:
· Support the School’s general and specific mission as described in the School’s Charter.
· Review and approve School policies and procedures.
· Review and approve the School’s annual budget.
· Support the Director of the School as needed and requested.
· Evaluate the effectiveness of the School’s Director in relationship to educational leadership and school administration.
· Maintain active and current knowledge of issues, changes, and proposed modifications in New Mexico laws or statutes pertaining to charter schools.
· Monitor fiscal and legal matters with regard to the School to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, statues, and requirements.
· Coordinate efforts among the School, school associations, community, area businesses, West Las Vegas School Board, and Superintendent of Schools to best serve the educational needs of Rio Gallinas School students.
All regular monthly meetings are held inside the WLV Board Room 179 Bridge Street Las Vegas, New Mexico and begin at 5:30pm.
The meetings of the governing council are public. Its agendas and minutes are available at: http://riogallinasschool.org/governing-council/meeting-minutes
Public notice of governing council meetings is required by law, and is regulated by the